16 February 2010

Moab's Red Hot 2010 Report: Where to begin

It is my second time in the Gunnison Public Library today to write up this past weekend's events. During my first I received the following email from Steamboat 50 RD Fred Abramowitz that instantly changed the contents of this post:

On Saturday, February 13, Jenna Gruben, the heart and soul of our Run, Rabbit, Run, our tireless and selfless volunteer coordinator, a dedicated Steamboat Springs community volunteer and organizer, a woman loved by all fortunate enough to have known her, and our two-time our defending champ, died tragically in an automobile accident, returning home from doing what she loved - running a trail race. She and Matt Morrill had been married 6 months. She was 32.

Matt asked that information concerning services be forwarded to all.

Services will be held on Wednesday, February 17, at 10:15 am. at:

Temple Emanuel
51 Grape St.
Denver, CO.

There will be a service in the Temple followed by a burial procession. Immediately after, ALL are invited to Cheri's (Jenna's mother) home. Her address is:

Cheri Stanton
8250 S. Albion Street
Centennial, CO 80122

There has been discussion regarding a memorial service in Steamboat, but I don’t have those details at this time.

Donations can be made to the following organizations in Jenna’s name:

Humble Ranch Education & Therapy Center
P.O. Box 776290
Steamboat Springs, CO 80477

Yampa Valley Autism Program
P.O. Box 771824
Steamboat Springs, CO 80477


Megan and I met Jenna at the inaugural Steamboat 50 in 2007. It was always fun to catch up with her when our race schedules crossed paths. She always wore a smile and was an upbeat, welcoming individual who was easy to laugh with. My last memory of her was after Saturday's race. She told Megan and I about her honeymoon to Nepal and adventures with husband Matt. Jenna beamed. Earlier in the day I hiked up 2 miles from the finish to cheer on runners as they closed in on the day's journey. I cheered Jenna as she ran past; smile on her face and holding her hands in the air for me to see exclaiming with jubilation, "I just ate it!" Despite the fall Jenna ran past filled with joy; crossing the finish line of the 33k race in 4th place. Another outstanding finish! Not only did Jenna race well she gave back to the ultrarunning community even more in her service at the Steamboat 50. She will be missed. Megan and I send our condolences to her husband Matt, her family, and all others who have been impacted by her life. As a small tribute Megan and I will be wearing the name Jenna on our race shirts at each race this year to honor her life.


Jenna and Matt celebrate her victorious finish at the 2009 Steamboat 50 Courtesy: Steamboat Pilot

Last Saturday in Moab

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post Ryan. Sums up her cheerful nature very well. Enjoying the blog. Keep it up. Had a great time in Moab, I appreciate you letting me snag your spot.

    ReplyDelete